Knowledge Graphs drive modern data fabrics, enabling frictionless access to and sharing of data. They have led to great advances in terms of data integration, interoperability and accessibility, and are a key instrument for transforming data into valuable and actionable knowledge. But while the benefits of knowledge graphs have become clear, the road to their implementation has often been long and complex and success has relied on the involvement of seasoned knowledge graph experts. For example, most ontology modeling tools available today target the ontology engineer, thus excluding domain experts and common business users from this process.
In this tutorial delivered at The Knowledge Graph Conference 2022, Ademar Crotti (Senior Technical Consultant at metaphacts) presented a new approach to knowledge graph modeling based on metaphactory's visual and user-friendly interface for creating, exploring, visualizing, editing, and documenting knowledge graph assets such as ontologies, taxonomies, or data catalogs. The visual language translates to core elements of OWL, SHACL and SKOS and results in knowledge graph assets based on open and flexible W3C standards.
With this approach, creating a knowledge graph becomes a streamlined, end-to-end process where all relevant stakeholders are equally involved. This enables true knowledge democratization by connecting knowledge modeling, knowledge description, knowledge generation, and knowledge consumption under one umbrella.
Specifically, this tutorial covered:
- Visual creation of OWL/SHACL ontologies which allows business users and domain experts to contribute to the ontology engineering process.
- Creation and management of SKOS taxonomies which allows business users and domain experts to capture business-relevant terms in organized vocabularies.
- Data catalog integration – Creation, management and import of existing dataset metadata at integration time.
- Creating a model-driven end-user interface for all business users to look up, explore and discover knowledge stored in the knowledge graph.
Try this tutorial
- Download and install the metaphactory tutorial app by signing up for our 14-day free trial (select the trial option "I'd like to try the KGC tutorial app")
- Have a look at the KGC 2022 tutorial recording and tutorial slides for instructions on using the tutorial app